What is a Moissanite? We get this question lots. I remember when moissanites first appeared on the market in 1998, they were so close in appearance to diamonds even a few seasoned jewellers were fooled. Moissanites are a lab grown gem that very closely resembles a diamond. They have massive amounts of sparkle, excellent durability & elicit many a lady grabbing your hand and saying “wow! Your ring is gorgeous!!!”
Here’s a cheat sheet of quick facts:
- Moissanites are lab grown from a natural crystal.
- The crystal was first discovered in 1893 by Nobel Prizing winning chemist, Henri Moissan.
- Charles & Colvard holds exclusives patents for moissanite used in jewelry.
- Moissanites have a hardness of 9.25 (diamonds are only slightly harder at 10)
- Forever Brilliant moissanites are up to four grades whiter than conventional moissanites, and they’re the only ones we use.
- More details can be found at http://www.charlesandcolvard.com/our-company/history/
We’ve seen a surge in clients who choose Moissanite for their engagement ring for 3 reasons:
- They look fantastic (yep, it’s that simple)
- They are very reasonable in price. A 1.50 carat diamond in an average quality is an easy $10,000 (and can climb quickly depending on the quality). A 1.50 Moissanite is a cool $950 (but as with anything, costs can change so take this detail with a grain of salt & don’t hesistate to ask for a price confirmation).
- Moissanites are ‘green’. If you are concerned about the environmental impact of diamonds, this is for you! Moissanite is a man-made gemstone and does not have the environmental or social concerns of mined diamonds.
The option of moissanite for a feature center stone has allowed many of our customers to choose their absolute dream ring (even luxury rings like Tacori) & still have a budget for the wedding, the honeymoon or even a down payment on a house! Just to give you an idea, we put together some of our favorite lux engagement rings and priced them with a moissanite center. What do you think?
Visit us anytime to browse hundreds of engagement rings and see if moissanite is a good fit for you. Remember we also carry an extensive diamond inventory… and if we don’t have it, we’ll be happy to shop for it!